Zhi Sou San
Pin Ying Name: Zhi Sou San
English Name: Stop Coughing Decoction
Chinese Name: 止嗽散
Herbs & Actions
|Pharmaceutical Latin||Pin Yin||Actions|
|Rx. Asteris||Zi Wan||
Relieves coughs and expels Phlegm.
With Jie Geng and Jing Jie, for productive cough in the aftermath of an Externally-contracted disease - usually Wind-Cold.
|Rz, Cynanchi Stauntonii||Bai Qian||
Descends Qi, expels Phlegm and stops cough.
With Jie Geng and Jing Jie, for cough due to External Wind-Cold-Phlegm Obstruction.
|Rx. Stemonae||Bai Bu||
Moistens the Lungs and stops cough
With Jiie Geng, Jing Jie and Zi Wan, for stubborn cough from Wind-Cold.
|Rx. Platycodi||Jie Geng||
Opens the Lungs, spreads Lung Qi, expels Phlegm, benefits the throat and raises Lung Qi, directing the effects of other herbs to the upper body.
With Gan Cao, disseminates Lung Qi, expels Phlegm, resolves toxicity, and expels pus for productive cough with hoarseness, pain and swelling of the throat due to Wind-Heat.
|Per. Citri Reticulatae||Chen Pi||
Regulates Qi, Dries Dampness, transforms Phlegm and descends Qi.
|Hb. Schizonepetae||Jing Jie||
Releases the exterior and expels Wind.
With Jie Geng and Gan Cao, for acute cough associated with External disorders.
|Rx. Glycyrrhizae||Gan Cao||
Moistens the Lungs, resolves Phlegm, stops cough and moderates and harmonizes the harsh properties of other herbs.
With JIe Geng, for pain and swelling of the throat.
- Stops coughing
- Transforms Phlegm
- Releases the Exterior
- Ventilates the Lungs
- Cough as a Sequelae to External Wind-Cold with Phlegm
- Tai Yang Zhong Feng with Phlegm
- Itchy throat
- Maybe chills and fever or
- Mild fever or No chills or fever
- Aversion to Wind
- Aversion to Cold
- Sore throat with Phlegm
- Shortness of breath
- Excessive sputum
- Phlegm that is difficult to expectorate
- T: Normal
- C: Thin and white
- P: Floating and moderate
- Whooping cough (pertussis)
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Early stages of viral and mycoplasmic pneumonia
- Acute tonsillitis
- Bronchial asthma
- Cough with an Exterior condition
- Chronic tracheitis
- Acute bronchitis
- Chronic bronchitis
- Interstitial pneumonia
- Chronic prostatitis
- Common cold
- Acute laryngitis
- Early-stage measles
- Mild fever
- Contraindicated for those with cough due to Yin Deficiency.
- Contraindicated for those with cough due to Lung Heat.
- Contraindicated for those with cough due to Phlegm-Heat.
- Use with extreme caution if the cough is accompanied by Blood-streaked Phlegm.