Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang
Pin Ying Name: Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang
English Name: Persica & Carthamus Decoction
Chinese Name: 血府逐瘀湯
Herbs & Actions
|Pharmaceutical Latin||Pin Yin||Actions|
|Sm. Persicae||Tao Ren||
Dispels Blood Stasis and invigorates Blood.
With Hong Hua and Chuan Xiong, invigorates Blood and dispels Stagnation, especially in the upper body. With Hong Hua, Dang Gui and Chi Shao, for menstrual pain, amenorrhea or irregular menstruation due to Blood Stasis and trauma with pain.
|Flos Carthami||Hong Hua||
Invigorates Blood, dispels Blood Stasis and alleviates pain.
With Chuan Xiong, for chest and abdominal pain due to Qi and Blood Stasis. With Tao Ren, invigorates the Blood for all types of Blood Stagnation such as dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, swollen painful sores and chest and abdominal pain. With Tao Ren, Dang Gui, Chuan Xiong and Chi Shao, for menstrual pain or amenorrhea.
|Rx. Angelicae Sinensis||Dang Gui||
Nourishes and invigorates Blood.
With Chi Shao, invigorates Blood primarily in the lower body and nourishes and moistens Dryness. With Sheng Di Huang, dispels Blood Stasis without injuring Yin and Blood. With Tao Ren and Hong Hua, for symptoms associated with Blood Stasis. With Gan Cao, moderates spasms and relieves abdominal pain. With Chuan Xiong, harmonizes, nourishes and invigorates the Blood, disperses Blood Stasis and treats abdominal pain.
|Rz. Chuanxiong||Chuan Xiong||
Invigorates Blood, regulates Qi and alleviates pain.
With Chai Hu and Chi Shao, for Qi and Blood Stagnation generating headache and/or chest pain. With Tao Ren, Hong Hua and Dang Gui, for abdominal pain accompanying menstruation, pain due to trauma and headache from Blood Stagnation. With Tao Ren, Hong Hua, Dang Gui and Chai Hu, for sharp stabbing pain in the chest and hypochondriac area due to Blood Stagnation.
|Rx. Paeoniae Rubra||Chi Shao||
Activates Blood, dispels Blood Stasis, clears Heat and alleviates pain.
With Chuan Xiong and Dang Gui, for Blood-Stasis induced gynecological disorders such as immobile abdominal masses and amenorrhea with abdominal pain. With Tao Ren, for Blood Stasis induced menstrual disorders, especially those characterized by early period, excessive bleeding, and thick purple clots. With Tao Ren, Hong Hua and Chuan Xiong, for Blood Stagnation in the chest.
|Rx. Cyathulae||Chuan Niu Xi||
Eliminates Blood Stasis, descends Qi and Blood and invigorates Blood.
With Tao Ren, Hong Hua and Dang Gui, for menstrual pain, irregular menstruation and postpartum pain .
|Rx. Achyranthis Bidentatae||Niu Xi||
May substitute for Chuan Niu Xi.
|Rx. Bupleuri||Chai Hu||
Spreads Liver Qi, relieves Stagnation, raises Yang and resolves Phlegm.
With Zhi Ke, for a stifling sensation in the chest. With Zhi Ke and Jie Geng, expands the chest and promotes Qi movement which circulates Blood. With Gan Cao, for hepatitis and upper right quadrant pain.
|Rx. Platycodi||Jie Geng||
Directs the actions of the formula to the upper body.
|Fr. Aurantii||Zhi Ke||
Promotes the movement of Qi, reduces distention and pressure and resolves hardenings.
|Rx. Rehmanniae||Sheng Di Huang||
Cools Blood and clears Heat.
With Niu Xi, powerfully clears Deficiency Fire Blazing Upward with pain and swelling of the gums, epistaxis, hematemesis and other hemorrhage in the upper body.
|Rx. Glycyrrhizae||Gan Cao||
Regulates and harmonizes the other herbs.
With Jie Geng, for pain and swelling of the throat.
- Activates the Blood
- Dispels Blood Stasis
- Spreads Liver Qi
- Unblocks the channels
- Stops pain
- Heart Blood Stagnation
- Blood Stagnation of the chest and diaphragm
- Blood Stasis in children, usually when fever, pain and insomnia develop after trauma
- Chronic stabbing pain in the chest
- Pain in the hypochondrium
- Chronic, stubborn headache with a fixed, piercing quality
- Chronic incessant hiccups
- Five Sole Heat
- Choking sensation when drinking
- Dry heaves
- Depression or low spirits with a sensation of warmth in the chest
- Chest distention
- Dry, scaly skin
- Dark rings under the eyes
- Spider naevi on the cheeks, nose, trunk, inner knee and ankle
- Chronic tinnitus
- Chronic gum disease with dark, purplish, patchy or dark, red atrophic gums
- Loose teeth
- Painful receding gums
- Frequently bleeding gums
- Vomiting after intake of water
- Persistent daytime drowsiness
- Insomnia (persistent with much dreaming)
- Restless sleep
- A bad temper
- Extreme mood swings
- Evening tidal fever
- Dark or purplish lips, conjunctiva or nail beds
- Dark complexion
- Dark sclera
- Hair loss on the head and body
- T: Dark-red with purple spots on the edges
- P: Choppy or Wiry and tight or Wiry and choppy or thready or Deep and choppy or Wiry
- Coronary artery disease
- Cor pulmonale
- Rheumatic valvular heart disease
- Intercostal neuralgia
- Post concussion syndrome
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Menopausal syndrome
- Primary dysmenorrhea
- Chronic hepatitis
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Cardiac ischemia
- Cerebral arteriosclerosis
- Mammary gland hyperplasia
- Post traumatic shock syndrome
- Post traumatic stress syndrome
- Cerebral tumors
- Chronic prostatitis
- Myocardial infarction
- Uterine fibroids
- Lung cancer
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Chronic asthma
- Stomach cancer
- Neonatal jaundice
- Behcet's disease
- Peritoneal tuberculosis
- Allergic purpura
- Upper back pain
- Acne vulgaris
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Irregular menstruation
- External injury
- Traumatic chest injury
- Angina pectoris
- Functional neurosis
- Thoracic strains
- Peptic ulcers
- Post-concussion syndrome
- Vascular headache
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Mitral stenosis
- Post traumatic insomnia
- Chronic, difficult periodontitis
- Acid regurgitation
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Breast cancer
- Premature ovarian failure
- Optic atrophy
- Pulmonary tuberculosis
- Crohn's disease
- Esophageal cancer
- Viral carditis
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Prostatic hypertrophy
- Chronic glomerulonephritis
- Contraindicated during pregnancy.
- Contraindicated for those with Excess menstrual bleeding.
- Contraindicated for the weak or debilitated.
- Contraindicated for those with active hemorrhage disorders.