Tao Hong Si Wu Tang
Pin Ying Name: Tao Hong Si Wu Tang
English Name: Peach Seed, Safflower & Dong Gui Four Decoction
Chinese Name: 桃紅四物湯
Herbs & Actions
|Pharmaceutical Latin||Pin Yin||Actions|
|Rx. Ligustici Chuanxiong||Chuan Xiong||
Activates Blood, regulates Qi, expels Wind-Cold, alleviates pain and treats headaches.
With Dang Gui, for Blood Deficiency causing menstrual problems including dysmenorrhea, scanty menses, and amenorrhea and Wind-Damp Invasion blocking the Blood vessels causing pain, numbness, and paralysis.
|Rx. Angelicae Sinensis||Dang Gui||
Tonifies Blood, regulates menses, activates and harmonizes Blood, disperses Cold, reduces swelling, expels pus, generates flesh and alleviates pain.
With Bai Shao, regulates and harmonizes Qi and Blood. With Bai Shao, Shu Di Huang and Chuan Xiong, for menstrual irregularity, amenorrhea, and dysmenorrhea due to Blood Deficiency or Stasis. With Tao Ren and Hong Hua, for amenorrhea, pain, swelling and other symptoms associated with Blood Stasis.
|Rx. Paeoniae Alba||Bai Shao||
Nourishes Blood, regulates menstruation, astringes Yin, calms Liver Yang and alleviates pain.
With Dang Gui, nourishes Yin and Blood.
|Rx. Paeoniae Rubra||Chi Shao||
Clears Heat, cools the Blood, activates Blood, dispels Blood Stasis, eliminates pain and clears Liver Fire. - Substitute for Bai Shao in some sources.
With Chuan Xiong, for abscess, boils, and trauma induced pain. With Tao Ren, for Blood Stasis induced menstrual disorders, especially those characterized by early period, excessive bleeding, and thick purple clots.
|Rx. Rehmanniae||Shu Di Huang||
Tonifies Blood and nourishes Yin, Jing and Blood.
With Dang Gui and Bai Shao, for dizziness, palpitations, insomnia, and menstrual dysfunction due to Blood Deficiency.
|Rx. Rehmanniae||Sheng Di Huang||
Clears Heat, cools the Blood, nourishes Yin and generates fluids. - Substitute for Shu Di Huang in some sources.
With Bai Shao, for Blood Deficiency Heat.
|Sm. Persicae||Tao Ren||
Dispels Blood Stasis and activates Blood circulation.
With Hong Hua, for dysmenorrhea and amenorrhea with abdominal pain, clotting and scanty flow and rheumatoid arthritis due to Blood Stasis. With Hong Hua, Chi Shao and Dang Gui, for trauma with pain.
|Flos Carthami||Hong Hua||
Activates the Blood, regulates menstruation, dispels Blood Stasis and alleviates pain.
With Chuan Xiong, for chest and abdominal pain due to Qi and Blood Stasis.
- Tonifies and invigorates the Blood
- Regulates Blood circulation
- Breaks up Blood Stagnation
- Regulates menstruation
- Alleviates pain
- Concurrent Blood Deficiency and Blood Stagnation
- Blood Stagnation due to Blood Deficiency
- Atrophy disorder (Wei Syndrome) due to Blood Stagnation
- Copious bleeding of dark purple blood
- The blood is sticky during menstruation
- May or may not have clots
- Menstrual cycle is shortened (early menstruation)
- Blurred vision
- Pale, lusterless complexion
- Pale nails
- Abdominal pain
- Irregular menstruation with little flow
- Fixed lower abdominal pain
- Pale lips
- May be amenorrhea
- Menstruation may also be accompanied by distention and pain
- T: Pale
- C: Normal
- P: Thin and weak or Thin and choppy
- Irregular menstruation with distention and pain
- Threatened miscarriage
- Postpartum weakness
- Cerebral infarction
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Post-herpetic neuralgia
- Optic nerve atrophy
- Herpes zoster
- Chronic rhinitis
- Coronary artery disease
- Myasthenia gravis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Guillain-Barre disease
- Acute myelitis (inflammation of the spinal cord)
- Progressive muscular dystrophy
- The sequelae of poliomyelitis
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Senile dementia
- Abdominal pain
- Herniated lumbar disc
- Low back pain
- Early menstruation
- Chronic pelvic inflammation
- Sequelae of stroke
- Bone fractures
- Allergic rhinitis
- Optic neuritis
- Skin Bi
- Prolonged menstruation
- Premature ovarian failure, prevention
- Premature ovarian failure
- Flat warts
- Atrophy (Wei) Syndrome
- Acute infectious multiple neuritis
- Progressive myodystrophy
- Hysterical paralysis
- Periodic paralysis
- Facial paralysis
- Stomach cancer
- Asthmatic bronchitis
- Bronchial asthma
- Scanty menstruation
- Late menstruation
- Postpartum anemia
- Use with caution for those with digestive weakness.
- Use with caution for those with anemia with coldness.
- Discontinue use once the desired effects have been achieved to avoid profuse bleeding.
- Contraindicated during pregnancy.
- Use with caution for those with menstrual disorders with underlying Qi and Blood Deficiency.