Mai Men Dong Tang
Pin Ying Name: Mai Men Dong Tang
English Name: Ophiopogonis Decoction
Chinese Name: 麥門冬湯
Herbs & Actions
|Pharmaceutical Latin||Pin Yin||Actions|
|Rx. Ophiopogonis||Mai Men Dong||
Nourishes Lung and Stomach Yin, clears Deficiency Heat from the Stomach, generates Fluid in the Stomach and Lungs and moistens the Intestines.
With Zhi Ban Xia and Dang Shen, for chronic, dry cough due to Lung Yin Deficiency. With Zhi Ban Xia, Geng Mi and Gan Cao, for Stomach Yin Deficiency with hiccups and vomiting.
|Rx. Ginseng||Ren Shen||
Revives Qi and Yin and generates Fluids.
With Mai Men Dong, strongly tonifies Qi and nourishes Lung and Stomach Yin.
|Rx. Codonopsis||Dang Shen||
Substitutes for Ren Shen when the digestive system is weak.
|Nonglutinous Rice||Geng Mi||
Tonifies Qi and generates Fluids.
With Gan Cao and Da Zao, assists Stomach Qi and generates Fluids.
|Fr. Jujube||Da Zao||
Strengthens the Spleen, tonifies Qi, nourishes Blood and harmonizes.
|Rx. Glycyrrhizae||Gan Cao||
Clears Heat, relieves toxins, moistens the Lungs and harmonizes.
|Rz. Pinelliae Preparatum||Zhi Ban Xia||
Moves Stomach Qi, descends Qi and assists distribution of Stomach Qi to the Lungs.
With Ren Shen, for vomiting due to Stomach Deficiency.
- Benefits the Stomach
- Generates Fluids
- Descends Qi
- Harmonizes the Middle Jiao
- Stomach Fire Blazing
- Stomach and Lung Yin Deficiency
- Lung Wei Syndrome (atrophy)
- Cough with little yellow sputum
- Spitting saliva
- Shortness of breath
- Dry, uncomfortable sensation in throat
- Dry mouth
- Coughing up difficult-to-extectorate Phlegm
- Scanty urination
- Flushed face
- Five sole Heat
- T: Red and dry
- C: Little or None
- P: Thready and rapid or Deficient and rapid
- Pulmonary atelectasis
- Chronic tracheitis
- Acute pharyngitis
- Chronic pharyngitis
- Chronic laryngitis
- Esophageal cancer
- Tuberculosis of the pharynx
- Reactive lymphoid hyperplasia
- Morning sickness
- Cough from interstitial pneumonia
- Bad breath
- Atrophic gastritis
- Peptic ulcer
- Esophageal reflux
- Acute or chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary tuberculosis
- Lung cancer
- Side effects of radiation therapy
- Stomach cramps
- Sjogren's syndrome
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Use with caution for those with cough or hiccup due to Wind-Cold or Heat.
- Contraindicated for those with Dampness.
- Use with caution for those with high fever and irritability due to Exterior Heat.
- Contraindicated for those with Lung atrophy due to Deficiency Cold.