Herbs & Actions
|Pharmaceutical Latin||Pin Yin||Dosage||Actions|
|Rx. Puerariae||Ge Gen||6-24g||
Discharges Exterior conditions, Raises Yang and releases the muscles especially of the neck and upper back, relieves Heat, generates fluids and relieves thirst.
With Huang Qin and Huang Lian, for Heat induced diarrhea and dysenteric disorders due to Damp-Heat.
|Rx. Scutellariae||Huang Qin||3-12g||
Clears Lung Heat, drains Fire and detoxifies.
With Huang Lian, drains pathogenic Heat from the upper and middle Jiaos for high fever, redness, swelling and pain of the head and face, dry mouth, parched throat, ulcerations of the mouth and tongue, epistaxis, rashes irritability in warm-febrile disease, toothache and explosive diarrhea and dysentery with burning pain in the anus or fitted, filthy stools and abdominal pain.
|Rz. Coptidis||Huang Lian||3-1g||
Drains Fire, relieves toxicity, clears Heart Fire and drains Stomach Fire.
With Huang Lian, Huang Qin and Ge Gen, for External Heat with diarrhea or dysentery.
|Rx. Glycyrrhizae Preparata||Zhi Gan Cao||2-6g||
Moderates and harmonizes the properties of other herbs.
- Releases the Exterior
- Clears Internal Yang Ming Heat
- Raises Yang to stop diarrhea
- Improper treatment of Tai Yang Stage with purgatives (Tai Yang-Yang Ming).
- Lower Jiao Damp Heat with lingering exterior symptoms.
- Diarrhea and dysentery whether or not there is Wind Invasion.
- Dysenteric diarrhea
- Foul-smelling stools
- A burning sensation around the anus
- Maybe red tinged urine
- Irritability and Heat in the chest and epigastrium
- Stiffness and spasms at the back of the neck
- Dry mouth
- Dyspnea with perspiration
- Maybe wheezing
- T: Red
- C: Yellow (Greasy)
- P: Rapid
- Acute gastroenteritis
- Acute enteritis
- Early-stage poliomyelitis
- Bacillary dysentery
- Amoebic dysentery
- Acute colitis
- Coronary artery disease
- Cervical spine disease
- Rectal prolapse
- Salmonella poisoning
- Lachrymal gland inflammation
- Common cold
- Food allergy
- Stomach cancer
- Enteric fever
- Ophthalmic disorders
- Stomach flu
- Fulminant dyspepsia
- Encephalitis B
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Perimenopausal syndrome
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn's disease
- Diarrhea as a complication of AIDS/HIV
- Contraindicated for those with dysentery or diarrhea with no fever and a slow, submerged pulse (Deficiency Cold).