Ban Xia Hou Pu Tang
Pin Ying Name: Ban Xia Hou Pu Tang
English Name: Pinellia & Magnolia Decoction
Chinese Name: 半夏厚朴湯
Herbs & Actions
|Pharmaceutical Latin||Pin Yin||Actions|
|Rz. Pinelliae Preparatum||Zhi Ban Xia||
Dries Dampness, transforms Phlegm, stops vomiting, descends rebellious Qi and harmonizes the Stomach.
With Hou Po, for Phlegm-induced cough, vomiting, and epigastric and abdominal distention, Phlegm-Dampness with Qi Stagnation with a sensation of fullness in the chest with coughing and wheezing, nausea, vomiting and a sensation of distention in the hypochondrium and Plum-pit Qi Stagnation. With Fu Ling, expels Phlegm and stops nausea and vomiting, hiccups, coughs with clear, profuse Phlegm and loose and watery stools, treats Phlegm, thin mucus and turbid Dampness and prevents turbid Phlegm and Dampness from disturbing the Heart with dizziness, palpitations and insomnia. With Sheng Jiang, for vomiting due to Cold, thin mucus. With Hou Po, Zi Su Ye and Fu Ling, for Plum-pit Qi Stagnation.
|Cx. Magnoliae Officinalis||Hou Pu||
Moves Qi, resolves Stagnation, descends rebellious Qi, dries Dampness, transforms Phlegm eliminates stuffiness and aids in dissipating clumps.
With Zhi Ban Xia and Fu Ling, for Phlegm Obstructing the Qi, leading to coughing, vomiting or a sense of something stuck in the throat.
Promotes urination, drains Dampness, Strengthens the Spleen, harmonizes the Middle Jiao and transforms Phlegm.
|Rz. Zingiberis Recens||Sheng Jiang||
Warms the Middle, stops vomiting, warms the Lungs and stops coughing.
With Zhi Ban Xia, harmonizes the Stomach and stops vomiting and coughing.
|Fol. Perillae||Zi Su Ye||
Promotes the movement of Spleen and Stomach Qi (Harmonizes the Middle Jiao, relieves intestinal gas), improves Lung function and expands the chest (relieves Cold induced wheezing).
With Zhi Ban Xia and Hou Po, for Spleen and Stomach Qi Stagnation with accumulation of Phlegm.
- Activates Qi
- Descends Rebellious Qi
- Eliminates Phlegm
- Dissipates clumps
- Relieves Stagnation
- Liver Qi Stagnation: Phlegm and Qi Stagnant and Blocked (Plum-Pit Qi Stagnation)
- Qi Stasis with Phlegm Retention
- A feeling of obstruction in throat as if a slice of roast meat were stuck there which cannot be coughed up nor swallowed down. This sensation becomes more prominent during emotional upset and subsides when relaxed.
- Distention and pain in the sides or flanks
- Suffocating sensation in the chest
- Tendency to sigh
- Hypochondriac pain
- Coughing with profuse phlegm
- Difficulty swallowing
- A delicate constitution
- A tendency towards fatigue
- Abdominal distention
- Muscular and skin flaccidity
- A stifling sensation in the chest and hypochondrium
- Inappropriate anger
- Irregular menses
- Breast distention and pain before and during menses
- T: Pink
- C: Thin and white or Moist or White and greasy
- P: Slippery and wiry (slippery due to Phlegm), Wiry and slow or Tight
- Globus hystericus
- Depression syndrome
- Functional gastrointestinal disorders
- Recurrent neurotic esophageal constriction
- Chronic laryngitis
- Throat blockage
- Emotional instability
- Neurogenic vomiting
- Perimenopausal syndrome
- Edema of the vocal cords
- Meniere's disease
- Pharyngeal paresthesia
- Sleep apnea
- Panic disorder
- Irregular menstruation
- Uterine myoma
- Otitis media
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Stuffiness in the chest
- Stress-related breathing problems
- Menopause syndrome
- Gastrointestinal neurosis
- Nervous exhaustion
- Chronic bronchitis
- Hoarseness due to the common cold
- Whooping cough
- Toxemia during pregnancy
- Blood vessel disorders
- Esophageal spasms
- Gastric relaxation
- Chronic gastritis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Parkinson's disease
- Acute tonsillitis
- Chronic tonsillitis
- Cervical spine syndrome
- Morning sickness
- Vertebrobasilar insufficiency
- Swallowing disorder in aspiration pneumonia
- Bi-polar disorder
- Peptic ulcer
- Anxiety neurosis
- Abdominal fullness and distention
- Esophageal cancer
- Reflux esophagitis
- Contraindicated for those with chest pain due to Lung Yin Deficiency with red cheeks, a bitter taste in the mouth and a red tongue with a scanty coating.
- Contraindicated for those with Heat due to Qi Stagnation.
- Do not use long term.