SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS: Seminal emission can be during dreaming, which is called nocturnal emission or can happen without dreaming, which is involuntary emission. The symptoms and signs of involuntary emission show frequent emission, pallor, listlessness, pale tongue, deep feeble forceless pulse. The symptoms and signs of nocturnal emission are: frequent emission with dream at night, "morning-after" dizziness, palpitation, listlessness, lassitude, scanty yellow urine, red tongue and thready rapid pulse.
ETIOLOGY AND PATHOLOGY: Involuntary emission usually results from a long Illness or excessive sexual activity causing exhaustion of the essence of the kidney. Kidney is the organ which controls and stores essence by its kidney Qi. Its dysfunction will result from the lost control of kidney essence causing the involuntary emission. Nocturnal emission is mainly due to anxiety or sexual indulgence which leads to weakness of the kidney and excess of fire In the heart. Kidney store essence, heart controls all mental activities, so the heart is called "the house of mind". The disturbance of mind by heart fire due to the kidney essence deficiency can cause the nocturnal emission, accompanied with some other heart and kidney symptoms.
1. Seminal Emission due to the Deficient Heart Fire:
Indications: Nocturnal emission, insomnia, listlessness, dizziness especially the next morning, palpitation, fatigue, weakness, blurry vision, scanty yellow urine with hot sensation, red tongue, thready and rapid pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Tonify the kidney Yin and clear the deficient fire, tranquilize the disturbed mind thereby stopping the nocturnal emission.
- Zhi Po Ba Wei Wan (Anemarrhena, Phellodendron, and Rehmannia Formula, Item No. 2123): It sedates the heart fire by nourishing the kidney Yin and essence. It is a very good formula for nocturnal emission due to the deficient fire. It is also applied to others, such as tinnitus, deafness, sore throat, weak legs, chronic nephritis due to kidney Yin deficiency.
- Tian Wang Bu Xin Dan (Ginseng and Zizyphus Formula, Item No. 2055): This is a very effective formula to sedate the heart fire, at the same time, it tonifies the Yin of heart and kidney too.
- Suan Zao Ren Tang (Zizyphus Combination, Item No. 2251): This is a formula for tranquilizing the disturbed mind.
- Lian Zhi Qing Xin Yin (Lotus Seed Combination, Item No. 2254): It sedates the heart fire and tonifies the deficient Qi. It is often used for nocturnal emission, as well as other diseases such as heavy mental work, exhaustion, anxiety, alcoholism, sexual injures, leukontlea, neurosis, heart distress, diabetes, etc.
2. Seminal Emission due to the Kidney Deficiency:
Indications: frequent involuntary seminal emissions, dizziness, blurry vision, tinnitus, sore and weak feeling at lumbar region, pale and dull complexion, cold limbs and body, pale tongue, deep thready or rapid pulse, or red tongue.
Treatment & Formulas: Tonify the kidney and strengthen the kidney essence.
- Liu Wei Di Huang Wan (Rehmannia Six Formula Item No. 2051): It treats the involuntary emission due to the kidney Yin deficiency.
- Ba Wei Di Huang Wan (Rehmannia Eight Formula, Item No. 2011): It treats involuntary emission due to both kidney Yin and Yang deficiency.
- Huan Sao Dan (Lycium Formula, Item No. 2264): It is a tonic basically for kidney, but also for the heart, spleen and stomach. It has the function of rejuvenation.
- Jin Suo Gu Jin Wan (Lotus Stamen Formula, Item No. 2114): This treats any kinds of seminal emission as an astringent formula. It can be used only at the late stage or chronic stage while some other tonics have been used, but failed to achieve good results. It is also applied for nervous exhaustion, sperm-atonia, bedwetting, sexual neurasthenia.
- Fu Tu Dan (Hoelen and Cuscuta Formula, Item No. 2141 ): This is also an astringent; it has a tonifying function to kidney and spleen. So it is often applied for sexual dysfunctions, premature ejaculation, enlarged prostate gland, spermatorrhea.
3. Seminal Emission due to the Internal Damp Heat:
Indications: Frequent seminal emission, or emission with urination, restlessness, insomnia, bitter taste, thirsty, hot or irregular urination, yellow and greasy tongue coating, thready and rapid pulse.
Treatment and Formulas: Clear heat and eliminate dampness.
- Yin Chen Wu Lin San (Capillaris and Hoelen Five Formula, Item No. 2143): This is a very good formula to treat internal damp heat at middle or lower Jiao (stomach, liver, gallbladder, kidney and urinary bladder) by it diuretic and cooling functions.
- Ba Zheng San (Dianthus Formula, Item No. 2008): It is a strong formula for the heat at lower Jiao (kidney and urinary bladder). Seminal emission with strong fire of lower Jiao (lower burner) will suit this formula. It is often used for urinary track infections, acute nephritis, acute pyelonephritis, hematuria, lower abdominal distress and pain.
Seminal emission usually caused by mental exertion, or sexual indulgence, or damp heat at lower burner. Its related organs are usually heart, liver, and, especially the kidney organ. In treatment, to tonify the kidney and sedate the heart fire are the principles. The astringent herbs or formulas are not recommended for the first period of treatment, unless all other formulas have been used and failed to achieve any results. Anyhow, astringents are highly recommended for the chronic stage. and after the failure of other formulas.