SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS: The common cold is a disease caused by wind, an exterior pathogenic factor which attacks the surface of the human body. The symptoms show headache, nasal congestion or runny nose, aversion to cold and fever. If the symptoms are present in a specific season, and with a large group of people having them at the same time, and transmission is from one person to another, then the condition is called the flu.
ETIOLOGY AND PATHOLOGY: The common cold is caused by wind; it usually happens at the change of a season. When wind affects the surface of the human body, it is an indication that the defensive (or protective) Qi is weak and loses its normal function of protecting the body surface. According to the theory of Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM): 'The upper part of the body accepts wind first". The characters of wind is light, floating, and moving. Since the head and lungs are located in the highest position of the body, they accept wind first. Therefore, the symptoms from exterior wind pathogenic attacks in the head and respiratory tracts and causes wind symptoms, such as headache, nasal congestion and runny nose, fever, aversion to cold, etc.
1. Wind Cold:
Indications: Fever, aversion to cold, headache or general tightness, heaviness or pain, nasal congestion or runny nose, sneezing, aching throat, cough with thin and white sputum, no perspiration or slight sweating, normal tongue body, thin and white tongue coating, floating or floating with tight pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Dispel wind cold and open the lung Qi.
- Ma Huang Tang (M.H. Combination, Item. No. 2174): It treats wind cold without perspiration, aversion to cold, headache, cough, tightness or pain feeling of whole body and head, floating and tight pulse.
- Gui Zhi Tang (Cinnamon Combination, Item No. 2156): It treats wind cold with slight perspiration, floating and tardy pulse, aversion to wind.
- Hua Gai Shan (M.H. & Marus Formula, Item No. 2214): It treats wind cold with lung affected symptoms, such as cough, sticky sputum, shortness of breath, or wheezing, or asthma with wind cold symptoms.
- Ma Xing Yi Gan Tang (M.H. & Coix Combination, Item No. 2177): This treats wind cold with dampness symptoms, such as general body aches and fever, especially after noon time.
- Da Qin Lung Tang (Major Blue Dragon Combination, Item No. 2038): It treats wind cold with interior heat symptoms, such as fever, general pain with tight sensation, restlessness with no perspiration, dry mouth and thirsty, yellow tongue coating.
- Jin Fang Bai Du Shan (Schizonepeta & Silver Formula, Item No. 2166):This treats serious wind cold.
- Ge Gen Tang (Pueraria Combination, Item No. 2222): It treats wind cold with stiff neck, shoulder and back, no perspiration, tight pulse.
- Shi Shen Tang (M.H. & Cimicifuga Combination, Item No. 2014): lt treats wind cold with headache, fever, no sweating, severe chills, and cough.
- Chai Ge Jie Ji Tang (Bupleurum and Pueraria Combination, Item. No. 2155): lttreatswind cold or flu after Ma Huang Tang, Ge Gen Tang (Pueraria Combination), Gui Zhi Tang (Cinnamon Combination) proving ineffective; febrile disease, pneumonia with same symptoms can use this formula.
2. Wind Heat
Indications: Fever, slight aversion to wind and cold, sweating, headache, nasal congestion, dry mouth, thirsty, swollen and painful throat, cough, sticky and yellow sputum, thin and yellow tongue coating, floating and rapid pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Dispel wind and clear lung heat
- Yin Qiao Shan (Lonicera & Forsythia Formula, Item No. 2248): It is the first chosen formula to treat strong wind heat.
- San Ju Yin (Marus & Chrysanthemum Combination, Item No. 2146): It is the second chosen formula to treat wind heat with more lung heat symptoms, such as cough, yellow sputum.
- Qin Liang Yin (Gardenia & Mentha Combination, Item No. 2180): It treats wind heat with tonsillitis.
3. EXTERIOR WIND COLD WITH INTERIOR HEAT
Indications: Fever, aversion to cold, no perspiration, joint pain, nasal congestion, thirsty, sore throat, cough, asthma, shortness of breath, yellow and sticky sputum, restlessness, yellow and hot urination, white or yellow tongue coating, floating and rapid pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Dispel wind cold and clear the interior heat.
- Ma Xing Gan Shi Tang (M.H. & Apricot Seed Combination, Item No. 2176): lt treats exterior wind cold with interior heat at the same time.
- Fang Feng Tong Sheng San (Silver & Platycodon Formula, Item No. 2103): It treats wind cold with interior heat, constipation. Others such as obesity, cardiac disease, arteriosclerosis, hypertension, stroke, nephrites, autotoxicity, baldness, dermatoses, hemorrhoids, sciatica, all with strong constitution and constipation can use this formula.
4. COMMON COLD WITH DEFICIENT BODY TYPE
(1). COMMON COLD WITH QI DEFICIENCY:
Indications: Wind cold symptoms with Qi deficiency signs, such as general fatigue, shortness of breath, soft low voice, pale tongue body, white tongue coating, floating and weak pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Tonify the Qi and dispel wind cold
- Shen Su Yin (Ginseng and Perilla Combination, Item No. 2172): This is the right formula to treat common cold with Yang deficiency body type.
- Ren Shen Bai Du San (Ginseng and Mentha Formula, Item No. 2004): It treats common cold with Qi deficiency, stiff neck, general tightness and pain. Flu with same symptoms can chose this formula.
(2). COMMON COLD WITH YANG DEFICIENCY:
Indications: Light fever, serious aversion to cold, headache and general body ache, no sweating, or spontaneous sweating, pale face, cold limbs, pale tongue body, white tongue coating, deep and weak pulse.
Treatment & Formulas: Tonify the Yang and dispel wind cold.
- Ma Huang Fu Zhi Xi Xin Tang (M.H.& Asarum Combination, Item No. 2178): It treats wind cold with Yang deficient body type. Others like bronchitis, bronchial asthma, rheumatism, edema with severe chills, cold limbs and lower part of body are also suitable to use this formula.
- Chai Hu Gui Jiang Tang (Bupleurum, Cinnamon, and Ginger Combination, Item No. 2152): It treats common cold with Yang deficiency of heart, such as mild fever, insomnia, palpitations, shortness of breath and wheezing, diarrhea, nervous exhaustion.