Xie Bai San
Pin Ying Name: Xie Bai San
English Name: Morus & Lycium Decoction
Chinese Name: 瀉白散
Herbs & Actions
|Pharmaceutical Latin||Pin Yin||Actions|
|Dry-fried Cx. Mori||Chao Sang Bai Pi||
Drains stagnant Heat from the Lungs and stops cough and wheezing.
With Di Gu Pi and Gan Cao, for cough with thick sputum, fever, irritability and thirst due to Phlegm-Heat Obstructing the Lungs.
|Cx. Lycii Radicis||Di Gu Pi||
Cools the Blood, clears Deficiency Fire, clears Heat, clears Lung Heat and stops cough.
With Sang Bai Pi, for Lung Heat cough or wheezing.
|Rx. Glycyrrhizae Preparata||Zhi Gan Cao||
Moistens the Lungs, resolves Phlegm, stops cough, clears Heat, relieves Fire toxicity and harmonizes.
|Sm. Oryzae||Geng Mi||
Protects the Stomach from the Cold properties of the other herbs.
- Drains (Hidden) Heat from the Lungs
- Calms wheezing (asthma)
- Stops coughing
- Relieves dyspnea
- Liver Fire Scorches the Lungs
- Lung Heat
- Cough due to Yin Deficiency caused by Lung Heat
- Children who alternate between Excess and Deficiency
- Coughing (high and clear sounding)
- Skin that feels hot to the touch
- Symptoms worse in the late afternoon
- Dry mouth
- Little or difficult to expectorate sputum
- Burning pain in the chest and hypochondrium
- Yellow sputum
- A warm steaming sensation from the skin that is most prominent in the late afternoon
- Maybe constipation
- Dry throat
- Hurried respiration leading to dyspnea
- Afternoon fever
- Conjunctival congestion
- Dry, bitter taste in the mouth
- T: Red
- C: Yellow
- P: Thready and rapid - maybe wiry
- Inverted menses (nosebleed during menstruation)
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Upper respiratory tract bleeding
- Acute bronchitis
- Pulmonary tuberculosis (initial stage)
- Pneumonitis from measles
- Mild asthmatic cough
- Herpes simplex
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Epstein-Barr virus syndrome
- Acute tonsillitis
- Chronic tonsillitis
- Infantile measles
- Infantile pneumonia
- Common cold
- Bronchial asthma
- Loffler’s Syndrome
- Tropical eosinophilia
- Early-stage measles
- Acne vulgaris
- Lung cancer
- Myalgic encephalomyelitis
- Contraindicated for those with coughing and wheezing from Wind-Cold, Wind-Heat or Damp-Phlegm.
- Modify to protect the Spleen from the Cold herbs.